News:

Welcome to PGG Forums:
Ask for tips and advice ranging from men's fashion, grooming, hairstyles and dating women.

Main Menu

The 10 Foods Every Man Must Eat Before He Dies

Started by judE_Law, April 09, 2011, 12:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judE_Law

from Menshealth.com

Few foods taste so good that they forever change how you look at a meal—here are the ten best.

1.Steak tartare - It's prime beef, minced, and usually mixed with Dijon mustard, capers, chopped shallots, Worcestershire, anchovies, ground pepper, and a raw egg. Steak tartare has a velveteen texture and a deep, luxurious flavor that trumps any high-end steak you've ever eaten. It'll leave you to wonder why man touched meat to flame in the first place.

judE_Law

2.A lobster you kill yourself - Murderous, but that's exactly why you should do it. We've become so accustomed to pre-packaged meals that "nuggets" are a viable food option. Lobsters are one of the only whole foods a supermarket will let you take home alive and kill in your kitchen. Once you have, you'll inherit a newfound respect for dinner.

judE_Law

3. A homegrown tomato - There's no sweeter taste of summer than a ripe, red tomato you grew from a single seed. It's almost heartbreaking to pick off the vine, but then you bite into it. You can taste the sweat it took to plant it. You can taste the sun it took to sprout it. You can taste the drenching rains it took to grow it. And you learn an important lesson: Great food comes from refusing to take shortcuts.

judE_Law

4.An In-N-Out hamburger - I had my first burger from this out-west chain when I was 15 years old. I haven't been able to shake the craving since, contemplating cross-country trips for another taste of In-N-Out's fat beef patty, crunch-crisp lettuce, juicy tomato slice, and mystifying secret sauce—all piled on top of their made-from-scratch bun that's puffed to pillowy perfection. This is how a burger should taste. You hear me, Five Guys?

judE_Law

5.Natto - Someone once told me that the best things in life are acquired tastes. If that's true, then natto, a Japanese dish of fermented soybeans, must be the single best thing in life. To eat natto, open the package, and stir the smelly-as-all-hell beans with chopsticks until they take on a froth. Then eat, doing your best to suck up all the mucosal-like strings that descend from your chopsticks. Gross, yes, but the heady aftertaste will, for some reason, beg you to take another (and another) bite.

judE_Law

6.Handmade pasta - Once you've had it, there's no going back to the box. Making your own is an art that takes time to master, but the manpower pays off with pasta that doesn't require a swamp of sauce to taste amazing. All you need is salt, pepper, a hit of high-quality olive oil, and a hefty sprinkling of Parmesan. Can't spare the investment? Make friends with an Italian grandma. Quickly.

judE_Law

7.Escargot - Go ahead. Turn up your nose and leave this one to the Frenchies—that only leaves more of these luscious, tender, garlic-and-butter-loaded mollusks for me. Even better than eating the meat: using a hunk of garlic bread to sop the sauce.

judE_Law

8.Bone marrow - When roasted, the interior of a beef bone softens and takes on a flavor that, if appropriately salted, tastes like a steak has punched you on the tongue. Because roasted marrow adopts an almost pudding-like consistency, as you eat the flavors coat your entire mouth. A food-induced muteness takes hold. All you can do is spoon, eat, and grunt.

judE_Law

9.Kumamoto oysters - Harvested from Japanese shores these small, sweet oysters are nothing like the bland, flabby Gulf oysters you're used to. Kumamotos are salty, but not overpowering, and taste incredible with a craft brew IPA. Hold the cocktail sauce and slurp them straight up.

(eto ba yung talaba sa atin? ::))

judE_Law

10. Wedge of iceberg and blue cheese dressing - The lettuce has to be ice-cold and the dressing room temperature. When creamy, salty flavors of the dressing tag team with the crunch of the fresh iceberg, you'll have your proof that the best taste sensations are often the simplest.

angelo

10 - yes! blue cheese is wonderful! even loved the blue cheese ice cream from sebastian..
9- yes these oysters are heaven - yep jude, talaba natin na naapektuhan ng red tide.
8 - i used to get a small chunk when i was a kid. that nakakakilig feeling...
7 - pinasosyal na kohol. depende na lang sa luto. sa bicol masarap with gata.
6 - you can get this in megamall pot & noodle resto. really good for handmade handpulled pasta.
5 - tried this in a hotel buffet. acquired taste.
4 - I BEG TO DISAGREE. I HEART SHAKE SHACK!!!

1-3 not tried. but plump tomatoes are really good. have eaten lobsters but i was never the one who took off the shell.

Luc

1-2 not tasted. lobster yes, but not killed by myself.
3 - haha can relate, but this food critic exaggerated a bit =P
4 - someday ... Dx
5 - subjected myself to eat this since there was nothing else but surprisingly, this is good. the one i tried i microwaved a bit and topped on rice.
6 - not a fan of pastas =P
7 - ahaha .. pass.
8 - di ko pa natry roasted, pero masarap nga yung marrow sa beef bone ng pochero :D
9 - i wonder if it's very different from our usual talaba
10 - hmm i should try this with the blue cheese dressing.

angelo

nasubukan ko na rin ang burger patty with blue cheese dressing. really good!
pero so far, pinakabagay talaga sa buffalo wings na luto. match

judE_Law

10 - basta ako dapat may kasamang black or green olives :P

bukojob

lahat yes, except 1,4 and 9...

hmmm, mukang interesting yung number 1